Henley in World War I
Some years ago Derek Pheasant and Arnold Hornsby wrote a brief history of the part played by Henley residents in World War I. In the centenary year of the end of that terrible war, we are making the booklet avalable to a wider audeince through the website. It's too large a document to load on to the site in its entirety but you can download and read it by clicking on this link. We hope you find it interesting and that it adds to your understanding of the way the war touched so may lives in communities and villages all over the UK.
Henley's Village Sign
The Sign.... and its history...
Before the Conquest, Tepekin a free man commended to Harold held Henley as a manor with two carucates of ploughland. The manor also included eight acres of meadow, woodland for six pigs and a church with two acres of land. It was held by Eudo the Steward in his demesne, from Roger d'Auberville in 1086, and eight acres were added to it. A second manor was held by Wulfric before the Conquest. This comprised one carucate and 70 acres of ploughland, four acres of meadow and a church with eight acres. In 1086 the manor was held by Roger from Walter the Deacon. In 1086 Roger also held (from Walter) 36 acres formerly held by six free men, and Walter himself held in demesne a manor of 40 acres, formerly held by Swein, a free man. Other smaller holdings were listed in 1086. 3 acres held by a free man commended to Stanwine under Harold, which Humphrey held from Robert Malet in 1086; six acres held by a free man before the Conquest that were held by Roger de Poitou in 1086; half an acre previously held by a free woman that was held by Roger de Poitou in 1086; and half an acre held by a free man under the commendation and soke of St Aethelthryth (Ely priory) in 1086. Finally, amongst the lands of Isaac, the Domesday tenant in chief, were 16 acres of free land in Henley, but belonging to Hemingstone, and included in its valuation. Domesday thus lists three manors, which must have been merged into one or (following Coppinger) two. In the reign of John, the Bishop of Norwich exercised rights here as he was granted the view of frankpledge (a policing system where the inhabitants of a community were responsible each other's behaviour) here by the crown. The prior of Norwich was also granted free warren here in 1307. In 1239 the manor is stated to have passed from John Sturmyn to his son Robert, but by 1259 Henley Manor was held by John de Weyland. It later belonged to the Honor of Eye, and was included in the grant of this by Edward III to his brother, John of Eltham, Earl of Cornwall. John died childless, and by 1349 the manor was in the hands of Bartholomew de Burghersh (Lord Burghersh) and he and his wife Cecily de Weyland were granted free warren on their lands at Henley and elsewhere in that year. It seems likely that the land came to Burghersh through his wife's descent from John de Weyland. On Burghersh's death it passed to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of Edward Despenser. Coppinger suggested that Henley Hall was the other manor, and this was inherited by John Dameron from his father, William, in 1558
The Parish history is taken from a set of records of all Suffolk's parishes, which is held by Suffolk County Council's archaeology service
An Anglo Saxon "caterpillar" brooch in bronze, was found in Henley.
1. Parish : HENLEY
2. Hundred : CLAYDON(until 1327), BOSMERE AND CLAYDON
Deanery : Claydon(until 1972), Bosmere(1972 onwards)
Union : Bosmere and Claydon
Other administrative details :
3. Area : 1,235 acres (1912)
4. Soils : Mixed:-
5. Types of farming:
1086 12 acres meadow, wood for 6 pigs, 10 cattle, 16 pigs, 74 sheep, 2 oxen
1500 - 1640 THIRSK: Wood-pasture region, mainly pasture, meadow, engaged in rearing and dairying with some pig-keeping, horse breeding and poultry. Crops mainly barley with some wheat, rye, oats, peas, vetches, hops and occasionally hemp.
1818 MARSHALL: Course of crops varies usually including summer fallow as preparation for corn products.
1937 Main crops: Wheat, barley, beans and peas.
1969 TRIST: More intensive cereal growing and sugar beet.
1958 River Fynn flows through parish from N - SE
Small dispersed settlement with groups of habitation close to the church, at Henley Watering and Henley Square - scattered farms.
Inhabited houses : 1674 - 20, 1801 - 33, 1851 - 65, 1871 - 62, 1901 - 49, 1951 - 73, 1981 - 179.
Road : Roads to Hemingstone, Akenham, Barham, and Witnesham. In 1891 there were carriers to Ipswich daily.
Rail: 3 miles to Claydon station, Ipswich to Bury St. Edmunds line opened in 1845, Claydon station closed 1963.
1086 - 38 recorded
1327 - 15 taxpayers paid £1.9s.6d
1524 - 18 taxpayers paid £1.14s.6d
1603 - 100 adults
1674 - not recorded
1801 - 250 inhabitants
1831 - 305 inhabitants
1851 - 326
1871 - 287
1901 - 208
1931 - 237
1951 - 233
1981 - 569
10. Benefice:VICARAGE(1831), DISCHARGED VICARAGE(1912)
1254 - Valued £3.6s.8d
1291 - Valued £5.6s.8d
1535 - Valued £10.0s.10d
1603 - Vicarage valued £10.10s. Incumbent also holds Washbrooke
1831 - Curate, stipend £60. Glebe house unfit for occupation. Gross income £103 pa.
Incumbent also holds canonry in Norwich Cathedral and Perpetual Curacy of St. Martin at Oak, Norwich. Rectorial tithes commuted for £256 pa, vicarial tithes for £118 pa (1841).
1912 - Nett value £155 pa - 16 acres glebe and residence.
PATRONS: Dean and Chapter of Norwich (1603 -)
11. Church:ST. PETER.
(Continuous chancel and nave, S porch, W tower).
1086 - Church + 2 acres land, church + 8 acres land
12th century - S doorway?
circa 1300 - Chancel
circa 1525 - Tower
1895 - Restoration
Seats: 110 (1915)
12. Nonconformity etc.Baptist chapel(no dates).
1066 - Manor of 2 carucates held by Tepekin a free man under patronage of Harold
1086 - Manor of 2 carucates belonging to Roger of Auberville
1066 - Manor of 1 carucate 70 acres held by Wulfric a free man
1086 - Manor of 1 carucate 70 acres belonging to Walter the Deacon
1066 - Manor of 40 acres held by Swein a free man
1086 - Manor of 40 acres belonging to Walter the Deacon
13th century - Bishop of Norwich owns
1259 - John de Weland held as Honor of Eye
circa 1349 - Bartholomew, Lord Burghersh held(linkedto Swilland, Carlton Colville and Clopton)
16th century - Dean and Chapter of Norwich
NOTE: Coplinger believes there was a second manor of HENLEY HALL
1558 - John Dameron owned (there is still a Dameron's Farm in the village)
late 16th century Ralph Meadows owns
1909 - Mrs Arthur Wolfe owns.
15. Real Property:
1844 - £1,286 rental value
1891 - £1,491 rateable value
1912 - £1,282 rateable value
16. Land Ownership:
1844 - Rev J M Theobald. principle owner
1891/1912 Not recorded
17. Resident Gentry:
1787 - John Meadows Theobald
1844 - Rev G Drury BA
1891 - Rev H Pearson MA
1912 - Rev W C Pearson BA
1500 - 1549 2 husbandmen
1500 - 1599 2 yeomen, 2 husbandmen
1600 - 1649 5 yeomen, 1 tailor
1650 - 1699 7 yeomen, 1 cordwinder, 1 husbandman
1831 75 in agriculture, 8 in retail trade, 14 in domestic service
1844 Schoolmistress, blacksmith, corn miller, carpenter/beerhouse keeper, shoemaker, wheelwright, 8 farmers
1912 Sub-postmaster, teacher, wheelwright, 6 farmers, blacksmith, poultry dealer, publican
1818 - 1 Sunday school on Dr. Bells system(10 attend)
1833 - 2 daily schools(53 attend), 2 sunday schools(50-60 attend)
1844 - Schoolmistress recorded:
School built (1878), 50 attend(1891), enlarged (1892), average attendance(1912) 68 School Board formed(1875).
20. Poor Relief:
1776 - £88. 0s 2d. spent on poor relief
1803 - £112. 2s. 2d.
1818 - £308
1830 - £366. 19s.
1832 - £440. 1s.
1834 - £350. 10s.
VERE'S CHARITY: 1766 by Codicil of Thomas Vere. Interest on £200. £3 distributed among poor. 10s paid to parish clerk (1840)
22. Other Institutions:
1891 - Police officer listed.
1844 - Beerhouse
1891/1912 - The CROSS KEYS public house
25. Other Information:
Kewland Wood: appears in will of (1694)
Extracts from churchwardens accounts (1602 - 1846). East Anglian Notes and Queries, New Series Vol. 4 p.92.
Order for building of poor house for the poor(1672)
Extracts from parish registers: Vere Family (1569-1775). East Anglian Notes and Queries, New Series Vol. 4 P.20
Surnames in Parish Registers(1558-1889) East Anglian Notes and Queries, New Series Vol.4 p.56
Stray Finds: I.A. coin(CRN 63), Med. Coin(CRN 7434)
Scatter Finds: Rom. coin(CRN 67, 1327), Med. coin(crn 65).
Note: CRN = Computer Record Number.